Emile Gruppé ~ Shoares Wharf (Early 1930’s)
In 1910, a group of families left their native Michigan (near Charlavoix) because of poor fishing conditions, and came to fish in Gloucester. Led by Albert Arnold, they included Shoares, Tysvers, Dalhmers, and Lasleys.
Their method of fishing was gillnetting. The Gill Netters established their fishing in East Gloucester. The Shoares Wharf was located on East Main Street near the pumping station. The wharf is still there, although the building on it is smaller than the one in the painting.
Over the years the Shoares had three boats: the Naomi-Bruce; The Naomi Bruce II and the Naomi-Bruce III. The larger boat in this painting may be one of the Naomi-Bruce’s.
The wharf next door belonged to the Tysvers. In the background is Rocky Neck.
This early original Emile Gruppé oil painting is from the early 1930’s has never been seen by the public. The ownership is simply Emile Gruppé, Walker Fielding and Joseph